CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Silly Hair

Well, I always wondered when the dreadful event would finally happen. Just after ballet practice yesterday, while dressed in pink from head to toe, and I mean all pink - pink hair ribbon, pink leotard, pink skirt, pink coat with a pink bunny zipper pull, and pink boots - Kailyn completely and utterly embarrassed me in public. She has done it a few times in front of friends, but this time was at the grocery store on a Saturday afternoon. In a VERY small town.

As we were walking to the deli to get a yummy turkey sandwich, Kailyn spotted the lady in town that I only know how to describe as the "pink hair lady." We actually had our kids together at T-Time, but I am ashamed to say that I never really befriended her, and not for any good reason. She seems nice enough. And come on, I am originally from FL... it takes more than hot pink hair to scare me.

And I am talking hot pink. Like this.

And apparently she didn't scare Kailyn either. She thought that the whole thing was quite silly.

"Mom!!" she yells as loud as her little lungs will allow. "That lady has SILLY hair!!!"

In total shock and completely at a loss for words, I grab Kailyn and tell her that's not nice in a voice as hushed as hers is loud. To which she starts cracking up, both hands palm up, and yells again, directly at the nice lady with pink hair, who happens to be, I don't know, 3 feet away, "You have the SILLIEST HAIR I ever saw. People don't have PINK hair!!!"

All the while giggling like the 3-year-old that she is.

I think that the lady was possibly as embarrassed as I was, because she made a beeline for the next aisle. I didn't get the chance to explain that my daughter just loves pink, and would actually love to have pink hair herself but I haven't been able to find the right shade.... where did you ever find your color?

So what do you say? I mean, really, it is kind of silly to have pink hair, isn't it? Kailyn was making an honest observation about what she saw as different. And it wasn't to be mean. When I asked her later if she liked it, she emphatically responded "YEAAAAAH!"

Of course.

Not that the pink hair lady will ever know this. I am hoping that by having hot pink hair she welcomes the added attention that I am sure it brings, and since she has kids of her own, I can only hope that she understands. That is the only thing that will keep me showing my face in public for some while. That hope.

3 comments:

Belle Etoile said...

Hey Staci,

So nice to catch up on your blog...I love your stories about your kids. And you're PREGNANT. Oh my goodness. I thought I had 'em close but you're really brave. :) Just think of how good of friends they'll be. Plus, you have the same point we had, why spread them so far apart that you are raising kids forever. I'm excited to follow your story of pregnancy.

Kristen said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! *snort* HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Thank you Kailyn for a much-needed laugh! I can completely visualize Kailyn holding her little hands up laughing.

Awww . . . . Sweet, sweet girl . . . .

Slightly Hippieish Mama said...

How funny!! We had a similar experience, only Brayden has recently watched the movie "Shark Boy/Lava Girl" and Lave Girl just happens to have hot pink hair. We are a lady in Walmart and he's screaming "MOM that lady looks like Lava Girl!!!" So funny, she just laughed and waived at him...great just reinforcing the behaivor!! haha