CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 07, 2006

Boat Rides & Anchorage

So much has happened since our last post. As we were packing to head to town on Thursday, the 28th, Katey Connell called to ask if we'd like to go out on the boat. It was one of those gorgeous days that make all of the yucky, rainy days in Valdez worthwhile - perfect blue sky, bright, white clouds, birds singing.... it seemed like paradise. On days like those, you can hear the waterfalls in the mountains and it always makes me feel oddly insignificant. These things have been here for people to enjoy so long before I was born, and my children and their children will have them to enjoy long after I am gone. I have no part in them, only get to be amazed by them for a few years until my time here is over. Hmmm.... Anyways! Kailyn LOVED the boat! It was a little chilly that day, but she wanted to stay up top with Bill and watch everything - the boats, the water, daddy's work. I grew up on boats all the time, and I am so happy to see that she enjoys being on the water like I do... maybe one day we'll be able to buy a boat and spend lots of time out on the ocean together. We only went out for a short trip to pull up shrimp pots, and it was really cool to see the Connell clan work together as a family - each member had an important and specific job to do to make everything run smoothly. Once we got close to the harbor, Kailyn had a chance to check out the shrimp and crabs that came up. We had to throw the crabs back since they still haven't recovered from the oil spill in '88, but the shrimp were HUGE and jumping around like popcorn. I let Kailyn touch each of the creatures, so scared that I was going to be cleaning crab guts off of us when she squeezed them to death, but, thankfully, she was very gentle. I love to watch her little brain processing everything - so intently absorbing the smoothness of their little backs and the ridges on the little (BIG) shrimps. I hope that we get other opportunities to join them; we had a lot of fun!

Once back on shore, we had to rush home, finish packing, and hit the road to Eureka to see Daddy, who absolutely walks on water in this house. Jared and Brian are standing walls already, trying to get as much of my Dad's cabin built before the snow flies. It's looking really good, but going a little slower than we all hoped with our lousy weather this year. After spending a night with Brian, we went the rest of the way to Anchorage to start looking for a dining table, office furniture, and a guest bed, and amazingly, found all three in one trip. We couldn't believe it! It was a quick trip, but quite productive. My favorite purchase was definitely my new dishwasher!! I am so happy - it's great!!! The top shelf drops down so you can put plates on the top when you have a lot of pots.... I am so pleased! We really like our table, and it's nice to be able to sit together like a family. I think Brian feels like the king sitting in his armchair at the head of the table - makes us feel like a real live family, with us as the grown-ups.

While in Anchorage, Mike and Erin (Brian's brother and his wife) celebrated their anniversary and let Tyler spend the night with Tom & Peggy. The kids took a bath together and had so much fun splashing and sharing their toys. Both of them are so funny - Peg and I couldn't stop laughing at how they interact together; Tyler wondering what the heck those things are coming out of her head, Kailyn amazed at how cool her big cousin is, already going to college and all!

No comments: