CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, March 07, 2009

Two Lines

Well, I spent Wednesday packing away my maternity clothes (really, I did this), and searching for the phone number to call my doctor in Anchorage to get a general physical. I've been going to the bathroom alot and wanted to make sure that I don't have diabetes, and plus, I figured it would be good to have a physical - I was having all kinds of aches and pains that didn't seem normal.
-
On Tuesday I finally admitted that my jeans were a little snug, even though I have been eating pretty healthy and walking most every day.
-
On Monday Kailyn mentioned to us both that she wanted 6 kids in the family and wondered if there was a baby in my tummy yet.
-
On Saturday, I had bought a pregnancy test thinking that I could be getting my period soon, and I am a worry wart so I almost always have a test in the house.
-
Exactly a week prior, I had JOKINGLY mentioned to Shelly at the quilt shop that I am STARVING all the time and don't understand why - it's like I am pregnant I told her. I thought maybe it's because I've been walking so much. In all this time, the obvious never presented itself to me as that... it actually never really even crossed my mind. After all, I HAVE A BABY!! And he just turned six months!!! WHY would I think pregnancy?? Do you know what the chances of getting pregnant in the first six months after giving birth are? No?? Let me tell you. TWO PERCENT. Or, given another way, there is a 98% chance that you will not get pregnant in the first six months after giving birth. Yes, 98%.
-
So as I was bringing a few things upstairs on Wednesday night, including the test, Brian asks ever so innocently, "what in the world is that??"
-
"Oh," I answer, "I just like to have these in the house just in case we have a scare."
-
"Are you going to take one now?" he asked.
-
"I don't know.... I wasn't going to waste it.... I don't know, I guess I could, just to rule that out. I'll try to take it in the morning one day because that's the best time anyways."
-
As I walked up the stairs, I thought, why wait till morning, just take it now. I knew I'd probably forget if I didn't. So I turned on the shower and took the test while the water was heating up. I went to put the cap on, because, as many of you know, it is SUPPOSED TO TAKE TWO MINUTES to show any lines. Well, the circle window was already blue. I looked at the directions thinking, "that's strange, these say that the control window is the second window..."
-
I put the test down thinking I was reading it wrong and continued getting ready for the shower.
-
Just before stepping in, I checked again with fresh eyes to see how I was supposed to read it, and low and behold, the control window also had a line. It took me a full minute to realize what that seemed to mean, but still, I thought that I must not understand the directions, though I will admit that they are pretty straight forward. I grabbed the directions, the test, and a towel, and went running downstairs, sobbing and in total shock. All I could say as I shoved the directions at my poor, unknowing husband, was "am I reading this right??" He didn't even need to look at it to know what that meant.
-
I handled my shock by sobbing, he handled his by laughing. Uncontrollably, hysterically laughing. Which got me to laughing, then crying, then laughing.
-
I spent the next day at the doctor's office waiting to find out how far along I was. When the nurse asked about my lmp, she corrected me when I said November 08, 2007. "You mean 2008?"
-
"Nope, I mean 2007. This little guy right here is mine... he's six months old."
-
"Ooooh," she says. "I see that you are taking the 'get it all over with' approach."
-
"I suppose," was all I could muster. I DEFINITELY wanted more kids. But I have to admit that this isn't the timing that I would have chosen. Brian is stoked - he even mentioned just a few weeks ago that we should try to have a little less time between Charlie and the next baby so that we are not 80 with kids still living at home. I'm not sure if this is what he meant then!
-
So I guess that we both win this one. It's taken a few days for me to get over the shock of finding out that there is a new guy in my belly, but I know that we can do this and it's going to be alot of fun.... Kids have a way of changing things up just a bit!!!! Now that I have overcome the shock, I am even going to go so far as to say that I am excited - I just LOVE babies, and cannot wait to have another one, no matter the timing.
-
We had our first ultrasound, and I cried when I heard that sweet baby's heart beating loud and strong. We are almost 2 months into it - due on October 20. So, Charlie will be a year and 2 months if I deliver on my due date... but then my babies like to come early, so who knows how close they'll actually be. Kailyn is really hoping for a sister, but I don't think that any of us will know until the day of delivery. We'll see...

4 comments:

Erin said...

I am so excited for you! A little nervous too, but I have no doubt you will be to handle it! It will be great to have another little baby in the family to love on ;)

Slightly Hippieish Mama said...

Holy cow Staci!!! How exciting, but I can only imagine your hysterics while running down the stairs!! Way to go Brian for calming you down and reassuring you it will be ok~ I almost thought I was pregnant this week too...thankfully it was just the flu. I haven't really had my period yet, so didn't really worry about it, but now that this happened to you, I have to be careful!! hehe I'm so excited for you guys~ Guess you don't have to make the "when to start trying" decision??

swellflamingo said...

Woooo Hooo. So excited you are joining the "three-kids-im-going-to-pull-out-my-hair-and-buy-stock-in-coffee-club". So happy for you both... how r u feeling!

Kelly T said...

Oh Staci! My good friend had almost the EXACT same surprise..except they had used fertility for their first 2!! So, who knows how low their percentage was!! I do have to say that I so sympathetically laughed at your reactions...you are so pregnant, crying, then laughing. Well, take care of yourself...really enjoyed the news and hope all is going well!